Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Review: Winters Heat by Cristin Harber

Winters Heat (Titan, #1)
Winters Heat (Titan #1) by Cristin Harber
Release Date: September 25, 2013
Genres: Romantic Suspense
Pages:278
Source: E-Book
My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

Goodreads Description:
After putting her life on the line to protect classified intelligence, military psychologist Mia Kensington is on a cross-country road trip from hell with an intrusive save-the-day hero. Uninterested in his white knight act, she’d rather take her chances without the ruggedly handsome, cold-blooded operative who boasts an alpha complex and too many guns.

Colby Winters, an elite member of The Titan Group, has a single objective on his black ops mission: recover a document important to national security. It was supposed to be an easy in-and-out operation. But now, by any means necessary becomes a survival mantra when he faces off with a stunning woman he can’t leave behind.

When Titan’s safe houses are compromised, Colby stashes Mia at his home, exposing his secret—he’s the adoptive father of an orphaned baby girl. Too soon, danger arrives and Mia lands in the hands of a sadistic cartel king with a taste for torture. As hours bleed into fear-drenched days, Colby races across the globe and through a firestorm of bullets to save the woman he can’t live without.


Notes about the book:
This is the first book in a multi-book series. I haven't read any of the other books yet. So I'm not sure how well they work as standalones. But the other books in the series have minor characters from Winters Heat as the main characters. So I think they might be able to be read as standalones.

This books is not meant for anyone under 18 as it does contain hot & steamy sex scenes.

Book Quote:
“You’re going to wish you didn’t bring that out to play today. Never should have threatened the lady. Never should have gotten in my way. Never, ever should have fucked up my job.”

My Review
I enjoyed this book immensely. There was so much action that I actually commented in one of my Goodreads statuses that I couldn't believe I was only halfway through the book. The first half of the book went by quickly. Toward the end though the twists and turns just seemed a little too far fetched. I think the author should have stopped at least one action scene sooner.

The characters were very likable though. Who doesn't love a tough and sexy ex-military man? Mia grows on you as well. The books starts out from Colby Winters (who goes by just Winters) POV and he was the character that appealed to me more. Mia did surprise me with her sexuality. At first I took her to be a bit of a prude, but that was just her exterior shell.

I have to say that from the synopsis I had a different idea about Mia's role in the whole "op" than what her role actually was. I think I would have liked my idea better than I actually liked the book's storyline. But once I got past the start of the book and her reasoning for being there, the action took off and I was pulled in.

But as I said above after one too many action scenes, I kind of got tired of all the action and wished for the happy ending. To tell you the truth, the happy ending drug on a bit too much as well. I did enjoy the epilogue though.

Overall, this was an enjoyable book filled with lots of steamy sex scenes.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good read, Carey. I know what you're saying about all the action scenes though - sometimes you are exhausted by the end. It's interesting that you had a different idea about what Mia's role was going to be. I'm glad you eventually warmed up to her despite your picture of her being different. I think this may already be on my tbr but if not, it's going on there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you read this one and afterward I'll discuss what I thought Mia's role was going to be.

    ReplyDelete